Posted on February 05, 2015 by Melissa Auxier
| 5 comments
DIY Shower Steamers:
Shower steamers are very similar to bath bombs but usually a different shape and typically, you need to use more essential oils than you would need for a bath bomb.
You can make your shower steamers in any mold that you would like, I use a muffin tin for mine. Then store them in a glass jar in the bathroom so that they are handy when you need them.
- 1 cup Baking Soda
- 1/4 cup Epsom Salt
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 1/2 cup white clay or arrowroot powder or tapioca starch or corn starch, any of these will work.
- 2 and 3/4 tbsp carrier oil of your choice - almond oil, coconut oil, etc.
- 3/4 tbsp of water
- Essential oils: I recommend using 1 tablespoon of essential oils of your choice
- Combine baking soda, epsom salt, citric acid and clay, mix well until combined.
- Mix your water, carrier oil and essential oils
- Use a whisk and slowly pour the essential oil mix into the dry mix. Blend thoroughly. Mixture should hold together when squeezed without crumbling but should not be real wet feeling. If you get it too wet, it will begin to fizz.
- Push mix into your mold, don't pack tightly, but pack well. Depending on the mold used, I typically leave it in the mold for 15 minutes or so and then flip the mold carefully onto a cookie sheet to dry. Leave to dry 24 to 48 hours.
- When dry, remove and store in air tight container.
To use: Place one in the back of your shower out of the stream of water, so that it can dissolve slowly to maximize the aromatherapy benefit. I don't recommend using these in a bath unless you cut back on the essential oils used as it would be too strong. This batch makes 4-6 muffin tin shower steamers.
Shower steamers can be any combination of essential oils depending on the desired aromatherapy effect you are looking for.
Sinus blend might include peppermint, lavender, rosemary, camphor, menthol, eucalyptus.
Relaxing blend might include lavender, orange, tangerine, ylang ylang,
Energy blend might include any of the following - peppermint, ginger, spearmint, rosemary
Experiment with the oils you like or have on hand and let us know how it goes!
cold flu relief,
diy shower steamers,
Do it yourself,
essential oil bath bomb,
essential oil steamer,
natural shower steamer,
natural sinus relief,
sinus congestion relief,